Select year and Image:
Long Summer Ball
Hand painted in Indian ink on vintage pages from Jane Austen's novel 'Emma'.
36" x 24" inches
This is one of a series of works inspired by the May Ball is are held at the colleges of Cambridge University.
The tradition of May Balls in Cambridge started in the 1830s with the first official one being the First and Third Trinity Boat Club May Ball in 1866. It is thought they developed from the celebrations surrounding successes in the May Bumps - a set of rowing races which used to take place before the university examinations in May each year.
The balls were moved from May to June in 1882, and still take place in June, after examinations, but the name has been retained.